The Secretariat is the administrative organ of the IEF. Governed by a Secretary General responsible to the Executive Board of the Forum the Secretariat is a permanent body charged with structuring and managing the IEF programme of work and ensuring the continuity and development of the producer-consumer dialogue including through preparation for IEF Ministerial Meetings. Based in the Diplomatic Quarter of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia the Secretariat has been headquartered there since its inception in December 2003.
The duties of the Secretariat include:
- the provision of a neutral platform for dialogue and an exchange of views on issues relating to the objectives of the Forum among Members of the Forum and between Members of the Forum and energy-related industries;
- the exchange of energy data and information among energy producing, consuming and transit States, organizations and energy-related industries;
- the organization of seminars, symposia, conferences, workshops, training programmes, exhibitions and roundtable discussions on energy-relevant global or regional issues;
- the establishment and conduct of dialogue and cooperation with other energy relevant entities in undertaking research and analyses;
- outreach to energy entities in the public and private sectors, and to international organizations and non-governmental organizations, to promote the study and exchange of views on the interrelationship among energy, technology, environmental issues, and economic growth and development;
- the preparation and dissemination of newsletters, factual and analytical reports, statements and press releases on activities of the Forum;
- the provision of assistance to Members of the Forum to ensure that the dialogue among them is more fully focused and result-oriented;
- the provision of advisory, operational and logistical services to the Host State of a Ministerial Meeting;
- the preparation of a focused agenda, and collection and analyses of pertinent factual information relevant to the agenda of the Ministerial Meetings in order to facilitate discussions on concrete issues;
- the provision of assistance to the Host State and Co-Host State(s) with the preparation and issuance of a Concluding Statement;
- the preparation of agendas, necessary analyses, reports and provision of assistance to the Executive Board, the International Support Group and the Industry Advisory Committee;
- the circulation to the Members of the Forum of the proposed biennial Programme of Work and draft annual budget and the transmission to the Executive Board of such comments as Members of the Forum may have made;
- the circulation to the Members of the Forum of the biennial Programme of Work and annual budget approved by the Executive Board.
The Secretariat also seeks to improve the relationship and depth of understanding between the energy industry and the governments of oil and gas producing and consuming countries through industry’s participation in IEF events and symposia. This effort includes the International Energy Business Forum (IEBF), which gathers energy CEOs biennially in conjunction with the IEF Ministerial, a permanent Industry Advisory Committee (IAC) that counsels the Secretariat, and frequent topical symposia that incorporate members of industry and government, as well as participants from international organisations, other experts and academia.