The Secretary General of the International Energy Forum (IEF), Dr Sun Xiansheng; Director-General of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Franceso La Camera; and the President of the King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center (KAPSARC), Mr Adam Sieminski co-hosted the First IEF-IRENA Seminar on Renewables and Clean Energy Technology Outlooks in collaboration with KAPSARC on 20 February 2020 at the IEF Headquarters in Riyadh.
The Roundtable was held under the Chatham House Rules. Dialogue explored the role of renewable and clean energy technology play in energy outlooks and how they contribute to energy security, orderly transitions, and sustainability. The three key sessions focussed on:
- Renewable and Clean Energy Technology Outlooks: What does the future hold?
- Stakeholder views on current pathways and sustainable energy market outlooks
- Whole energy system solutions: Options to bridge the mitigation gap
Discussions focused on renewable and clean energy technologies and approaches such as Carbon Capture Storage, the Circular Carbon Economy, the role of green vs blue hydrogen and the extent to which electrification paired with renewables can enhance sustainability. Panelists also highlighted the importance of fossil fuels and how the oil and gas industry will be a critical element in facilitating orderly energy transitions. In the end, a whole systems approach to decarbonisation will need to be applied to achieve maximum mitigation against climate change.
The First IEF-IRENA Seminar on Renewables and Clean Energy Technology Outlooks is the first event jointly hosted by the IEF and IRENA in collaboration with KAPSARC. IEF Member States have called on the IEF to pool efforts in globally integrated frameworks to accelerate energy transitions and energy efficiency gains across the full energy sector spectrum and leverage the IEF Energy Efficiency Knowledge Sharing Framework in collaboration with relevant organisations and governance platforms globally.
The outcomes of the First IEF-IRENA Seminar on Renewables and Clean Energy Technology Outlooks will be captured in an IEF Dialogue Insight Report and help to inform the global energy dialogue including but not limited to the 17th IEF Ministerial Forum hosted by Saudi Arabia and co-hosted by Morocco and Nigeria. The Forum will convene on 25-26 September 2020 in Dhahran on the theme "Vision for a New Era: The Producer-Consumer Quest for Stability, Change, and Growth."
- Sun Xiansheng, Secretary General, IEF
- Francesco La Camera, Director General, IRENA
- Adam Sieminski, President, KAPSARC
Session I: Renewable and Clean Energy Technology Outlooks: What does the future hold?
Moderated by Dr Sun Xiansheng, Secretary General, IEF
- Matar Hamed Al Neyadi, Undersecretary, Ministry of Energy, Industry and Trade, UAE
- Faisal Al-Yemni, Head, Renewable Energy Development Office, Ministry of Energy, Saudi Arabia
- Amro Elshurafa, Senior Research Associate, KAPSARC
- Dolf Gielen, Director, Innovation and Technology Centre, IRENA
- Christof van Agt, Senior Energy Analyst, IEF
Session II: Stakeholder Views on Current Pathways and Sustainable Energy Market Outlooks
- Moderated by Asami Miketa, Senior Programme Officer, Power Sector Investment Planning, IRENA
- Keisuke Sadamori, Director, Energy Markets and Security Directorate, IEA
- Ayed Al Qahtani, Director, Research Division, OPEC
- Laurent Chevalier, Vice President Middle East Gas, Renewables and Power, Total
- Ayad Al-Amri, Executive Director, Business Development, ACWA Power
- Ivan Marten, IEF Knowledge Partner, Senior Partner Emeritus, BCG Group
Session III: Whole Energy System Solutions: Options to Bridge the Mitigation Gap
- Moderated by Adam Siemenski, President, KAPSARC
- Angela Wilkinson, Secretary General and CEO, World Energy Council
- Ahmad Al Khowaiter, Chief Technology Officer, Saudi Aramco
- Jorge Gascon, Director, Catalysis Center, KAUST
- Fahad Al-Sherehy, VP, Energy Efficiency and Carbon Management, SABIC
- Khalid Abuleif, Chief Negotiator for the Climate Agreements, Ministry of Energy