The 2nd IEA-IEF-OPEC Symposium on Gas and Coal Market Outlooks was held at IEA Headquarters in Paris on 30 October 2014. The Symposium gathered expert-level representatives from the memberships of the IEA, IEF and OPEC, and featured the participation of a diverse selection of industry representatives, academics and thought leaders.
The objective of the Symposium was to foster dialogue on gas and coal market outlooks and enhanced market transparency, to take stock of current developments in gas and coal market competition, and to discuss other key topics including sustainability and energy security. This Symposium was organised in response to the G20 Cannes Summit Leaders Declaration (November 2011) that called for “continued dialogue annually between producers and consumers on short medium and long-term outlook and forecasts for oil, gas and coal.”
The Symposium built on the findings from the 1st IEA–IEF–OPEC Symposium on Gas and Coal Market Outlooks convened in Paris on 4 October 2012. Selected speaker presentations are available below, and a summary report containing key insights from the 2nd IEA-IEF-OPEC Symposium on Gas and Coal Market Outlooks will be forthcoming shortly.
Symposium proceedings were governed by the Chatham House Rule, and participation is by invitation-only. The 3rd Symposium on Gas and Coal Market Outlooks will take place in 2016.
Should you require more information please contact Mr Christof van Agt, Senior Energy Analyst (Christof.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ms Arianna Khan, Executive Assistant to the IEF Director of Energy Dialogue (Arianna.Khan@ief.org).
Session I: Gas market developments in the short-, medium- and long-term
Session Moderator: David Montgomery, Senior Vice-President, NERA
- Tim Gould, Resources and Investment, IEA
- Nadir Guerer, Senior Research Analyst, OPEC
- Zack Henry, Director Energy Dialogue, IEF
- Jérôme Ferrier, President, IGU
- Bob Takai, President and CEO, Sumitomo Corporation Global Research Co Ltd
- Robert Oushoorn, Partner and Vice-President, Strategy&
- Markus Becker, Senior Director, Government Affairs & Policy, GE Oil and Gas
Session II: Coal market developments in short-medium- and long-term outlooks
Session Moderator: Taher Najah, Downstream Oil Industry Analyst, OPEC
- Carlos Fernández Alvarez, Senior Coal Expert, IEA
- Mark Oliver Bettzüge, Director, Institute of Energy Economics, University of Cologne
- Eoghan Cunningham, CEO, Global Coal
- Mark Thurber, Associate Director, Program on Energy and Sustainable Development, Stanford university
Session III: Gas and coal competition in the power market from a long-term sustainability perspective
Session Moderator: Zack Henry, Director Energy Dialogue, IEF
- Peter Ramsay, Managing Director, Generation Fuels, Argus
- Hans ten Berge, Oil and Gas Department, Energy Research Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences
- Tatiana Mitrova, Head, Oil and Gas Department, Energy Research Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences
- Peter Adam, Head, Project Development, Oil and Gas, Siemens