The Fifth IEA-IEF-OPEC Symposium on Energy Outlooks took place on 23 March 2015 at the IEF Headquarters in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The Heads of the IEA, IEF and OPEC opened the Symposium. Dr Aldo Flores-Quiroga, IEF Secretary General, moderated discussions of the first session. To improve transparency among various scenarios and advance a data driven and well informed producer-consumer dialogue, these focussed on the latest OPEC and IEA energy outlooks and a comparative analysis of short-, medium-, and long-term energy outlooks released by the IEA and OPEC in 2014 provided by the IEF-Duke University Introductory Background Paper.
Symposium discussions in the subsequent sessions were moderated by senior industry practitioners and facilitated an open exchange of views among invited participants. Key energy outlooks from industry stakeholders factored into the discussions. Well-informed insights deepened the collective understanding of present day market dynamics and their impact on energy market security, with a special focus on investment.
The Symposium is part of a wider joint programme of work agreed upon by the three organisations and endorsed by energy ministers at the 12th International Energy Forum (Cancun, March 2010). Attendance is by invitation only.
Session I: Key findings from the Comparative Analysis on Energy Outlooks, and presentation of the latest IEA and OPEC projections.
Session Chair: HE Aldo Flores-Quiroga, Secretary-General of the IEF
- HE Aldo Flores-Quiroga, Secretary-General of the IEF
- Hojatollah Ghanimifard, Head, Petroleum Studies Department, OPEC
- Oswaldo Tapia, Head, Energy Studies Department, OPEC
- Antoine Halff, Head, Oil Industry and Markets Division, IEA
- Nathan Frisbee, Senior Analyst, Global Energy Economics, IEA
- Richard Newell, Director, Duke University Energy Initiative
Session II: Industry views on short-, medium-, and long-term energy outlooks
Session Moderator: David Fyfe, Head Market Research and Analysis, Gunvor Group
- David Fyfe, Head Market Research and Analysis, Gunvor Group
- Marianne Kah, Chief Economist, ConocoPhilips
- Wei Du, Deputy Director, Department of Development Strategy, CNPC
- Roberto Sieber, Chief Economist, Hartree Partners
- Toshiro Okada, Director, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan
Session III: Uncertainties in coping with appropriate investment decisions
Session Moderator: Harry Tchilinguirian, Global Head, Commodity Markets Strategy – Commodity Derivatives, BNP Paribas
- Harry Tchilinguirian, Global Head, Commodity Markets Strategy – Commodity Derivatives, BNP Paribas
- Matthew Foss, Chief Energy Economist, Alberta Department of Energy
- Ramón Espinasa, Lead Oil and Gas Specialist, Director of Energy Innovation Center, Inter American Development Bank
- Ali Aissaoui, Senior Consultant, Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation
- Antoine Rostand, President, Schlumberger Business Consulting
The IEF-Duke University Global Energy Outlooks Comparison: Methods and Challenges